Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Serving, Staying, Moving-- I will follow

I've been listening to God's iPod this weekend. Or at least, I think I was.
It wasn't one of those times where I heard the perfect songs right in a row. This was different.
I heard the same song every time I turned on the radio. Three times in 2 days.
Message received, Lord.
The song was Chris Tomlin's "I will Follow." The chorus goes like this:

Where You go, I'll go
Where You stay, I'll stay
When You move, I'll move
I will follow You
Who You love, I'll love
How You serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow You
I will follow You.

I was doing a bit of serving this weekend, with much joy in my heart. But when I heard this song, I had to ask, "Lord, am I serving the way you want me to serve? Can you make sure that I am?" And then I caught the line, "Where you stay, I'll stay." Hmm. I'm not looking to run away or get as far away from home as I can, but I would like to look around. Maybe try somewhere new. And then I asked, "Lord, are you asking me to stay? Or am I to follow You to where you are moving?"
I could hit the list- am I loving who Christ calls me to love, am I flexible enough to be of use to Christ- but the one that made me think hard? "If this life I lose, I will follow you." If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, loss had been a big part of my life this past year. I know there is an end eventually. I know I'm going to die. But am I placing that event in Christ's hands? Will I be able to follow him through anything?
And the more I think about it, the more I don't have to think about it. What is my life without Christ? Nothing. Without Christ, I am nothing. And to some, that is depressing. To me? When I cannot be in control of every event in my life? When I can't control situations or the future? To me, knowing that Christ is my every direction, every path, every plan, everything --that is the most reassuring thing in the world. And if I have that, I can say this with certainty: if I loose this life, I still have Christ. And that is everything worth having.

1 comment:

sharon said...

pressing the LIKE button on this one :-)