Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rain boots & Umbrellas


Today, it is raining.

As a rule, I don't like rainy days. But today, I actually feel like living. And that realization makes me happy to be alive. Today doesn't make me feel guilty or bad about yesterday's post. I write from the places where I live. Yesterday was a hard not-so-good day. I wish I could bring you happy posts about my wonderful life all of the time. But the reality is life is hard. I'm a messy Christian on a good day, and I'll be the first to tell you I don't have it all together.
But days like yesterday make me glad for days like today. Yesterday reminded me of the pain and loss that living in a fallen world can bring. Today? Well today I'm glad that sorrow last for the night but joy comes in the morning.
I don't "do" the nice Christianese. Or at least, I try not to. I'm not bubbling over with happiness today. However, I'm no Puddleglum either. The fine line between the two? That's me. I'm not slinging Bible verses to prove that I know them. I'm just sharing with you. Pretend we are chatting over coffee. Or tea, since it's raining today. I'm glad that this particular promise is in the Bible. And today, I'm claiming it. So I'll pull on my rain boots so I can walk through the puddles, and grab my umbrella so I can walk through the rain.

Because, as one of my friends on Facebook posted today [from Eeyore], the nice thing about rain is that it always stops eventually.

(And like it says in Daniel, even if the rain doesn't stop, God is still God and I won't bow to another. [That was totally a paraphrase, tailored to my situation. Don't tell.])

(P.S. As a total side note, I have another anniversary today! Last year on this day, I received my first phone call from Gettysburg to schedule my interview! And with that in mind, I cling to the promise that He will provide for me this year too...even if I have no idea what that will look like.)

(P.P.S. I wasn't sure how I made it through yesterday. Today, I know how. Apart from the grace of God, I had friends cheering for me. I had people who knew the day was going to be hard, who knew I was suffering. They wanted me to make it through the day. Today when I talked with one of them she told me I looked good, that I looked better. That she was glad today was better. And in that moment I knew that she was one of the reasons I made it.)

No comments: