Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lots o' hours in the day

Something you might not know about Old Navy & Gap Inc. (unless of course you work for them) is that they adhere to California state work laws. This isn't hugely different then Pennsylvania laws, except in regards to break times.(At least, as far as I am able to figure out. I should perhaps talk to someone about that. Too bad I don't know any lawyers!)
The deal is this: if you work 5 hours, you get a 15 minute break. If you work any longer than 5 hours, they are required to give you an unpaid half hour meal break in addition to the 15 minute break. Apparently, my managers (and our store) can get into a lot of trouble if they consistently go over our 5 hour shift limits. This is such a big problem that they have recently changed our normal shifts (5 hours) to 4 1/2 hours. It doesn't seem like much at all, knocking off a half hour from a shift. But for some reason, it has really be wreaking havoc with my weeks! I am constantly forgetting start and end times for my shifts and need to check my calendar multiple times a day. I should be able to keep it all straight, especially since I've only worked two days a week for the past two weeks.
All of this nonsense about schedule changes that equals no work to say that in my spare time, I've had lots of time to do things I've been putting off. I've had more time to read. I've had more time to sleep. I've had more time to do nothing. I've had more time to clean. I've had more time to see my friends and spend lots of good time with them. It is probably safe to say that I've been more tired now with all the time I have to do running around then I ever was before working two jobs! (Not entirely true, but almost sorta kinda.)

Enter New Year's resolution revelation #1: I have started a book & movie review blog!
It's been something I've been meaning to do for at least a year, and I finally decided to dive right in. I know it's not always going to be perfect or as clear as I might like it, but I can finally say that I've started something. If you go over there to visit (which I recommend) you won't find any reviews quite yet, but I promise there will be some there by next week. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay! I'm adding your new blog to my reader!