Monday, June 6, 2011

the luckiest girl in the world

I might sound a little depressed the next few weeks. Or maybe I already have been sounding that way. There is something scary about leaving a job (or in my case, internship) and have nothing in place for "next" in your life. It also seems a little out of the ordinary, because the most popular question I get when I tell people about the end of the internship is, "What's next?"

What indeed.

This weekend was a beautiful time home, if not a little stressful. Moving back anywhere is difficult; moving back into an established home is even more so. There is something that is comforting about going to the kitchen and knowing exactly where everything is, knowing that it has been that way for the bast 20 some years of my life. Comfort in the little things.
And when I really need a break I can now drive 15 minutes down the road and hang out with the love of my life, Brooks. He is my friend's 8-month old and I love him to pieces. I was there visiting this weekend and, after picking him up from his nap, said to him, "Oh I could just take you home with me!" I was also telling him about the surprise birthday party we were having for my sister and told him he could be my date. He was just babbling happily, like babies do, and out of the blue his mom says, "Take him!"
I think my mouth hit the floor. "Don't tease me!" I said to her. I began feeling this consuming joy at the thought of spending the afternoon/evening with this little bundle of cuteness. After thoroughly convincing me she wasn't kidding and after getting the appropriate approval, his bag was packed, his car seat base placed securely in my car and we were off! I couldn't believe my good fortune! I sat with him in the back of my parent's car on the way to the party and couldn't stop staring at him. He was quite the hit of the party and everybody got a chance to play with him. After a relaxing tubby, he was bundled in his pajamas, said goodbye to everyone...and promptly fell asleep 2 seconds after he was strapped in his car seat.
I loved spending time with my Little Man! And if me being unemployed for the next few weeks (... I hope... ) means I get to spend more time with him? I guess I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awww...that sounds like a very good bright side to me. I love that you took Brooks as your date!