Wednesday, July 15, 2009

books, books, and mufflers

I should be grateful for all this down time at work so I can blog...but sometimes I'm not. I've actually been really busy these past few weeks. Instead of working with Inter-library loan, which used to be my main area plus all the shelving, I am learning the fine art of Technical Services this summer--along with the other work in ILL and Circulation. I do mean 'fine art' because a lot of the work is very tedious and I'm staring at a computer screen almost all day. It's not bad all the time--promise! It's been really interesting learning a new department of the library-and there are always some perks with new tasks. I get to look at new books and donated books in some of the work, so that is always a plus!

Speaking of books, the Friends of the Library book sale is the weekend!!!! I can't wait! I've been looking forward to this thing for over a year. Last year, I think I got 15 books for $20 -- and 90% were hardback! It was like Christmas! I have a new book bag to take with me and I hope it's enough! While I'd love to spend all my money there, I must save some of it for car payments. This brings up a whole other chapter in my life this summer, one I'm not very happy with. My UGLY 1991 Ford Tempo (affectionately named Viper by the one and only Heather Kiss.) has been givin' me grief for almost 5 months. First it was the expensive inspection (which I'm still paying off). Then, it didn't want to start right away. It wasn't the starter, because if you jiggled the gear shift and waited a while it eventually started. This got increasingly worse and after a visit to the best garage man ever, Viper was once again starting like clockwork. I've also been keeping an eye on the gasket head (I think that's what it is anyway) which probably needs to be replaced. Then, to put the proverbial 'icing on the cake', my muffler fell off Monday night. Well, it would be more accurate to say my muffler rusted off, because that is exactly what happened. After trying to get it off (and failing--but boy did I try!), a very nice man came over to my car and we had this conversation:

MAN: Hey, I see your muffler's hanging off your car there.

ME: (to self: No, really? Thanks!!!!! Is that what the large 'clunk' was about 30 min ago?)

(what I actually said) Yeah, it is.

MAN: Want me to give you a hand with it?

ME: Sure that would be great!

[2.5 seconds later]

MAN: (holding muffler in one hand) Where do you want it?

ME: (facepalm female fail) Let me get the trunk.

So now, for the second time in my life, my muffler is riding around in my trunk. But God has a plan, and worked out a way for it to get fixed this week WITHOUT the massive garage bill. Yay!

And really, that bit, the bit where God provided for me, has been the best part of my week. Even though, in order for that to happen, my muffler had to fall off first.

No comments: